Friday 27 January 2012

Titanic Belfast exhibition to relaunch the capital



For Susie Miller, it’s personal. “My dad gave me a battered old book to read as a child and it turned out to be a collection of short stories by my grandfather,” says the Belfast tour guide. “One was about his own father, Thomas Miller, who worked as an engineer and was one of the 1,500 people who died on the Titanic. When he sailed away, my grandfather never saw him again.
“Nobody talked about Titanic round here for years. It was filed away and unspoken,” she adds. “But I wanted to keep my great-grandfather’s name alive, to tell his story to people in Northern Ireland and all around the world.”
It is just this sort of story and powerful connection with Belfast that will make the new Titanic Belfast visitor experience the biggest thing, both physically and metaphorically, to happen to the city for many a year. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/travel/northern-ireland-holidays/8972750/Titanic-Belfast-exhibition-relaunch-capital.html?WT.ac=8586392 

2 comments: