Monday 16 April 2012

Screening Out the Introverts

Some years ago I joined my students in taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, a test to determine personality type. It was an assignment in a course I was teaching on vocational exploration.

Assuming there would be an average distribution of results among the 20 students, I planned a series of small-group assignments in which they would discuss their own results for each of the test's personality dichotomies (e.g., thinking versus feeling). But a problem turned up immediately: Not one student had received an "I" for introversion. Everyone, it seemed, was an extrovert (Myers-Briggs spells it with an "a," like "extra"). Everyone but me.


http://chronicle.com/article/Screening-Out-the-Introverts/131520/?sid=wb&utm_source=wb&utm_medium=en

No comments:

Post a Comment