Monday 7 November 2011

Tintin: a homage to Hergé that is too adventurous

The new Tintin film is visually dazzling, but dazzle is not always the highest virtue in film-making, writes Charles Moore.

This review is late because I had not intended to write it at all. One look at the publicity stills for Steven Spielberg’s computer-animated film version of Hergé’s creation had convinced me that I would hate it. The film renderings of the characters looked like grotesque parodies of human beings, rather than the peaceful, beautifully drawn cartoons of the master. Research among fellow Tintin-lovers showed that this reaction was widely shared.
Our son, however, who is a much more learned Tintinologist than I, took a different view. Although the film was “far from perfect”, he said, it was “fully in the spirit of the original” and clearly composed by people who loved it: I should go. So, in order to prove that I am not in the 47 per cent of the adult population who regard the young as rude and frightening, I put on my 3D glasses, and went.

 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/charlesmoore/8873503/Tintin-a-homage-to-Herge-that-is-too-adventurous.html

No comments:

Post a Comment